The Forbiden City. Imperial Palace. Beijing. China.


Museums of the World

26 big cities around the world, the night.

Most visited Art museums in the World.


 Home Newsletter  Analysis  Movements  Painters  Kinds  Techniques  History   Museums  Exposures   Gallery   Artists   Plays  Advertisements  Shop  Contact us  Who are us?  Bonds  

Share |

The Forbiden City. Imperial Palace. Beijing. China

Built in Beijing under the Ming dynasty, between 1407 and 1420, the prohibited City is one of the more imperial large palaces. This palate was built on the ruins of the Mongolian palate of Kubilaï Khan by Yongle, 3rd Ming emperor when it transfers his court from Nankin in Beijing. With the fall of Ming, in 1644, the Manchu dynasty Qing decides to occupy it rather than to build a new residence. The City is known as “ prohibited ”, because only the civils servant attached to the court, the eunuques ones, the family members imperial and the servants can penetrate there.
Contrasting with the smoothness of architectures Tang and Sang, the prohibited City is presented in the form of a whole of robust constructions, built according to a rigorously symmetrical composition, around a North-South axis which extends to the interior city, administrative center of the Ming dynasty. Broad ditches and a wall of red, high color, 10 m protect the City. This enclosure delimits a field of 72 ha, accessible since doors bored to the four cardinal points, the two principal ones being located at the south and north, following the main roads of the city. The most beautiful building of the Prohibited City is the first palate of pageantry, or room of the supreme, high Harmony 28 m, symbol of the imperial capacity where the great ceremonies proceeded. Its 3 white marble terraces support, on 24 columns, the double roof of yellow glazed tiles. The central columns, inside, are gilded, while the side columns are enamelled of red. The coffered ceiling introduces a rich decoration painted in blue and green the prohibited City sheltered the imperial family until 1924. She is registered since 1987 on the list of the world heritage of UNESCO.